If you have one of the common household products that may contain mercury, please don't toss the item out in the trash.

First, store the mercury-containing products in an unbreakable plastic container placed in a safe place where it will not be touched, especially by children and pets, while you determine the proper and safe way to dispose of the products locally.

Then, check with your municipality to find out if they have a drop-off location or if they offer other opportunities close by to properly dispose of your mercury-containing products. Some communities even offer thermometer swaps, where you can exchange an old thermometer for a new one that does not contain mercury. Find the contact for your local community by searching here.

Alternatively, there are other programs that offer opportunities to properly dispose of your mercury-containing products. Many big box retail stores, such as Home Depot or Lowe's, offer drop-off sites for certain mercury-containing products; most big box hardware stores for example will take back spiral and long CFL light bulbs. Make sure to check with your local store to see if they participate in a program prior to bringing in your products.

Mercury in Products

Many common household products contain mercury. Click on the images below to find out more about each one. And if you have one of these items, please don't toss them into the trash! Please dispose of them properly at a drop-off location or as instructed by your municipality.